Senior Federal Relations Counsel
The American Association for Justice (AAJ®), formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA®), is seeking to fill the position of Senior Federal Relations Counsel for its Public Affairs department. AAJ seeks to promote a fair and effective civil justice system—and to support the work of attorneys in their efforts to ensure that any person who is injured by the misconduct or negligence of others can obtain justice in America’s courtrooms, even when taking on the most powerful interests.
The Senior Federal Relations Counsel assists with expanding on existing relationships and cultivating new relationships with Congressional offices, outside organizations and members to engage in advocacy and educate them on legislative matters. This position focuses heavily on research and writing.
• Assist in the development of legislative and regulatory strategies.
• Analyze and assess proposed legislative policies and help determine the potential impact on the organization's membership. This includes conducting legal research on legislative proposals.
• Draft policy documents, one-pagers, Congressional testimony and other Hill materials as needed. Draft regulatory comments and letters in response to rulemakings.
• Inform and educate members of Congress and, particularly focusing on the needs of Committees of jurisdiction.
• Participate in all aspects of AAJ’s Political Action Committee, including researching and identifying new potential members and attending fundraising events on behalf of the organization.
• Monitor the daily progress of legislation assigned to the position.
• J.D. degree required.
• A minimum of 7 plus years combined experience working on Capitol Hill; a government relations team at a trade association; lobby shop; and/or law firm.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the federal legislative process.
• A high-level performer who thinks strategically and sees the big picture while remaining attentive to details and deliverables.
• A multitasker who can juggle competing and often urgent priorities.
• A clear understanding of AAJ issues and the ability to advocate for them to others, including advocating for access to the courts and a strong civil justice system.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills including the capacity to present and speak in public.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work independently and in teams.
• A registered federal lobbyist or desire and capability to register.
AAJ offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. Plus, we’re close to Metro. We are
located across from the Capital One Arena, a block from the Shakespeare Theatre
Company, near museums, food trucks, restaurants, independent coffee shops, a movie
theater, and bowling alley.
Please email cover letter, salary requirements and resume to: email@example.com. EOE.
No phone calls please.